Politics, popular culture and Reagan conservatism spewed maybe once a week...or once a month. Or less.
Tuesday, October 25, 2011
Obama is right, for once: 'Republicans want dirtier air and dirtier water.'
President Obama is correct: the GOP condones more economic activity, during which the process of this activity marginally increases pollutants that are an external cost and are unavoidable consequences of all productive human efforts. As considered from an economic point of view, both Republicans AND Democrats should want dirtier air and dirtier water. Well, perhaps minuscule increases in air and water pollution, but it is inarguable: more economic activity produces more pollutants. And as a nation, we all accept certain levels of pollution as the cost of a prospering and growing population.
Of course, as an economic ignoramus, Barack Obama has no clue that there are certain unavoidable externalities that must ensue given increased economic activity. No clue at all. Taken to an extreme, Obama's position would be that Democrats are against emitting one single additional molecule of pollution into the country's air or water. The only way that this position is achievable is if we stop any and all additional efforts to increase production of any product whatsoever. This position of Obama's also assumes that the existing production of energy and goods is OK, that the pollution from our current levels of production are perfectly fine, and that cutting back on production would be even more acceptable. In other words, Democrats support stagnation or atrophy as it pertains to the GNP of the U.S. economy.
Of course this position is ludicrous on its face. But the dimwits who listen to Obama and Democrats eat this up, and in particular the tree hugging environmental movement types, who ultimately would be perfectly happy if a diminished number of cave dwellers simply lived like we did in the good ol' days, in our cold, damp caves with no cars, no washing machines and no electricity. And that would entail that of the 300 plus million Americans currently residing within the boundaries of the U.S., perhaps 90% of them need to go away, leaving presumably the 10% of the remaining population (the 'good' percentage) to inhabit the country and live off the land, free from pollution and filth. Sounds like paradise on earth to me.
And of course, that eventuality is a non-starter as well, but it epitomizes the Left's world view to a large extent: seeking a non-existent utopia that dwells in unison with Mother Earth, or Gaia, with no wants, needs or fears, and one that provides only peace and love for everybody. Everybody, that is, except the other 90% of us who 'went away,' and the tree huggers choose not to explain what would need to happen to that 90% 'extra population' that Gaia could not support. To these arrogant extremist environmentalists, all that matters is that most of us (especially conservatives and Republicans) simply 'go away,' and leave the country to them and their vegan and pure ways.
You bet the Republicans want dirtier air and dirtier water: a certain degree of pollution is unavoidable and indeed acceptable in a thriving, growing economy. I would vote for dirtier air and dirtier water every time it comes up on the ballot.
And it will be coming up on the ballot in November, 2012. Vote for dirtier air and dirtier water.